Spring is officially here, and that means time for…picnics and BBQs! So here is a recipe for a staple picnic and BBQ food – slaw. But not just any slaw – NomNom Paleo’s creator Michelle Tam cooked up a fun Red Cabbage Slaw with Tangy Carrot Ginger Dressing that we would like to share with you!
- ½ a red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, julienned
- handful of cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- ½ avocado, diced
- handful of toasted slivered almonds (optional)
- 2-4 tablespoons of tangy carrot ginger dressing (recipe below)
- Throw everything except for the avocados in a bowl and mix it together.
- Let the slaw sit in the fridge for a few hours until you’re ready to eat it.
- Right before I serving the slaw, toss on the diced avocados so they won’t get all brown and icky looking. Toasted almond slivers are another great addition to the slaw but don’t add them early because they’ll get soggy
For the tangy carrot-ginger dressing:
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1-inch knob of ginger
- 2 scallions, whites only
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup Paleo mayonnaise
- Salt and Pepper
Dump the vinegar, carrots, ginger, scallions, and mustard into a blender everything until it is liquefied. Then, add the mayonnaise, salt and pepper to taste and blend again on low until everything is combined.
Check out the original recipe at: http://nomnompaleo.com/post/3955306349/red-cabbage-slaw-with-tangy-carrot-ginger-dressing